Lawyer ProfilePhilip J. Koenig
Koenig often utilizes living trusts as a preferred method to avoid probate and streamline the process of estate administration following a death. His trial experience includes real estate, estate, probate and tax litigation. His clients have achieved positive results in the trial and appellate courts.
He has extensive experience dealing with tax audits and tax dispute issues for personal and small or closely-held businesses. As a result of his vast trial and transactional experience, he is often called upon with business formation, entity and incorporation issues. While he enjoys helping clients work out their complex legal problems, he receives just as much satisfaction from his efforts to avoid legal problems through proper planning and structuring of entities or assets.
The Koenig Law Firm is part of the Hyatt Group Legal Plans Attorney Network.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Business & Commercial
- Illinois, 1975
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1975
- U.S. Tax Court, 1995
- Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, J.D.
- “Survey of Illinois Law – Real Estate Finance,” 12 Southern Illinois University Law Journal 1157, 1988
- Philip E. Koenig is recognized by the Leading Lawyers Network for his legal work in closely and privately held business law, commercial litigation, residential real estate law, individual tax law, and trust, will and estate planning law. The distinction of being a Leading Lawyer has been earned by fewer than 5 percent of all lawyers licensed to practice in Illinois. It is the result of a statewide survey of peers and is not a distinction that may be purchased in any way.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rock Island County Bar Association, member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Trusts and Estates Section Council, member, 1999
- ISBA, Illinois Real Estate Law Section Council, member, 1979 – 1985
- ISBA, Illinois Real Estate Law Section Council, 1990 – 1999
- ISBA, Illinois Real Estate Law Section Council, chair, 1996 – 1997
- ISBA, Commercial, Banking and Bankruptcy Section Council, member, 1986 – 1989
- American Bar Association, member
- Illinois Bar Foundation, charter member
- Quad City Estate Planning Council, member
- Delta Theta Phi